CIF Rules for travel ball participation

Want to discuss fastpitch softball in general?
xyzmonk68

CIF Rules for travel ball participation

Post by xyzmonk68 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:24 am

Could some expert shed some light on this topic please? My daughter is in freshman softball team and I would like to not violate any rules.

951Softball

Re: CIF Rules for travel ball participation

Post by 951Softball » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:56 am

I am not an expert, but this was a Point of emphasis from our Varsity HC & pulled this from CIF-SS Softball website.

600. COMPETITION ON AN OUTSIDE TEAM A student on a high school team becomes ineligible if the student competes in a contest on an “outside” team, in the same sport, during the student’s high school season of sport. (See Bylaw 511)
The following exceptions apply:
A.If the outside team has half or more of the team members as stated in the National Federation rule book for that sport, it shall be considered the same sport. Examples: three on three basketball —outside team competition prohibited; two on two volleyball —outside team competition permitted.
Q:May a student who competes at the freshman or junior varsity level compete on an outside team during his or her high school season of sport?
A:No. The Outside Competition Rule pertains to all levels of competition. Thus, any individual participating at the varsity, junior varsity, sophomore and/or freshman levels may not compete on an outside team during his or her highschool season of sport. *See exception in above paragraph.
Q:Does this rule apply to a student/athlete who starts the season, plays in a game and then becomes ineligible?
A:Yes. Once the student is eligible and plays in a game, he/she may not play on an outside team and retain their eligibility for that season.

xyzmonk68

Re: CIF Rules for travel ball participation

Post by xyzmonk68 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:57 pm

Thank you!